Ottawa’s culture scene animates our lives while generating significant social benefits and economic impact. Be it film or festivals, heritage talks and walks, rural museums, indigenous art, ethnocultural community celebrations neighbourhood pop-up concerts, major cultural venues and more – culture plays a big role in our city.
This is our moment to shape the future of culture in Ottawa. The Ottawa Cultural Alliance is facilitating the creation of a new community-driven Cultural Roadmap for 2019-2022. The new Cultural Roadmap recommends the strategy and priorities for culture. The results are also intended to inform Ottawa City Council’s planning for the next four years:
- Independent consultants, overseen by Steering and Advisory Committees, completed research and data on the cultural sector and consulted the community.
- To help ensure that as many communities as possible contribute to the Roadmap, the Ottawa Cultural Alliance engaged Synapcity to conduct public consultations across the city and facilitate community workshops at the Ottawa Cultural Summit.
- A Cultural Summit was held in mid-January to facilitate community dialogue on key issues and strategic priorities to be included in the New Cultural Roadmap for 2019-2022.
- The document Charting the Course was prepared for Summit attendees. This ensured that everyone at the Summit had the same information about the input to-date towards the Roadmap.
- An online survey (open until March 25, 2019) offered a chance to contribute for those who weren’t at the Ottawa Cultural Summit, or who attended and had additional thoughts.
- The draft Roadmap was posted for validation by the community in June 2019, to help ensure that the final Roadmap truly reflects what our community needs and wants.
- Results from the validation survey were analysed and the final Roadmap updated for publication in July 2019.
To stay informed and have a say, join the consultation mailing list.
* “Cultural sector” refers to organizations, artists and workers in the arts, festival, heritage and cultural fields, inclusive of people from a diversity of ancestries, abilities, ages, countries of origin, cultures, genders, incomes, languages, races and sexual orientations.
The Ottawa Cultural Alliance gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the City of Ottawa for this Roadmap.